I love the topic of happiness – just love it. I love to listen to the podcast “Happier” by Gretchen Rubin and her sister, Elizabeth Craft and I continually read books about how to live a happier life.
I am currently rereading Gretchen’s book called “The Happiness Project.”
I love the simplicity of being happy. From reading books and articles to listening to Podcasts and interviews about happiness, I have found that happiness is simple. We tend to think happiness is up on a huge mountain to achieve, it’s always in the future.
I constantly believe this myth – I say “When Aaron gets x job, When we start a family, when it’s the weekend.” I tend to enjoy the future way more than the present.
I hate that this is the truth about me. I generally hope that people see me as a happy person, but inside I know that I could be happier if I just realized the happiness in each moment.
I think a lot of this goes back to mindfulness and living for/ in the moment.
I have been trying to practice meditation for a couple of months now. I love just being in the moment and not worrying. I will admit that I am not the best at it, my mind is always going a million miles per hour and I always have probably 20 questions that I would like to ask at any moment, but by trying out meditation (like 5 -10 min segments) I have been able to begin to slow down.
This goal of mindfulness is something that I want to excel at in all areas of my life – from how I eat, to how I work out, drive, work, watch TV, I mean everything.
I love how in the olden days, people sat and talked to neighbors and it seems like life was just less rushed. I want to get back to that in my own life. I want to enjoy the small things.
I think that doing this helps lead you to a happier life. By enjoying each moment you find way more reasons to be happy.
Currently, on my adventure to happiness/ mindfulness I am trying out a couple of different ideas/ goals.Here they are:
- Pick out one happiness/ positive quote per day ( I write it down and send it via text to my mom and Aaron – and also usually post it to instagram. Follow me at catlin_rankin )
- Take one picture per day! – record your life. Chose one happy thing per day to take a picture of it. It will make you smile and remember the good times and then a year later you have a whole album of happiness for the year 🙂
- Workout 4 times per week
- 10,000 steps per day – personal goal of mine. For some reason it gives me an extraordinary amount of happiness when I see my fitbit hit 10,000 steps
- Blog 3 times per week – this one is new but is important. It requires me to work for something tangiable, helps me connect to others and also puts me out of my comfort zone.
- Think about 3 things I am grateful for each day
So that’s it for my current happiness goals – and I think the key to all of them is to enjoy the process (at Gretchen would say)
And I highly recommend listening to the Podcast Happier and also the TedTalk podcast called Simply Happy. Go check them out!!
Have a great day!
Thanks for reading!!! You’re the best!!
-Do you have any goals to make you happier?
-What brings the most happiness?
-10,000 steps? Yay or Nay?